LEEP – PRE-OP COUNSELING
LEEP stands for Loop Electrocautery excision Procedure of Cervix. LEEP is a procedure done when you have a high grade abnormal pap smear.
- Main risk of the procedure – Vaginal BLEEDING.
- Do not schedule the procedure right before your period.
- Stop any natural supplements, garlic, turmeric, fish oil, Vitamin C etc 2 weeks before the procedure.
- Stop any Green Teas two weeks before procedure.
- Do not take Advil, Excedrin, Motrin, Ibuprofen 2 wks before procedure. Tylenol alone in OK.
- Probiotics – Please take Probiotics – acidophilus plain daily before procedure (10 billion units – no vitamin C in them please).
- No sex/ tampons/ baths/ beach or hot yoga for 6 wks after procedure.
- No work outs/ spinning/ swimming etc for 6 wks. May start elliptical or light exercise after clearance after the post-op appt.
- No travelling for 6 wks after procedure..
- If you are on birth control pills, we recommend skipping the placebo week if the period falls close to the procedure.
- If you have an IUD, it will have to come out during the procedure and the new one cannot be inserted before atleast 8 wks until after the procedure.
- You may be prescribed antibiotics after the procedure. Make sure we have a pharmacy on file.
- You will need a 2 weeks and 4 weeks follow up.